Please sign the petition below to restore protections for Marine Sanctuaries across NSW.
In NSW today less than 7% of our coastal waters are declared sanctuary, or no-fishing, zones.
In 2013 the NSW Government removed sanctuary protections from 30 beaches and headlands across the NSW coast. This was primarily a political tactic to win support from the Shooters and Fishers party. In the lead up to the state election 20 of these sites had their protections restored but 10 are planned to be permanently rezoned to allow recreational line fishing. This will damage the integrity of our marine protections.
The Greens are supporting calls for full sanctuary protections to be restored. Only with community support can we move the Government to restore our sanctuaries and protect our marine biodiversity.
To read more about the value of marine sanctuaries or see the areas impacted by these changes click here.
Sign the petition below to restore protections to Marine Sanctuaries across NSW.
To the Honourable the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly of New South Wales in Parliament assembled:
This Petition of certain citizens of New South Wales brings to the attention of the House that:
- marine Sanctuary Zones where no fishing or other extractive industries are allowed are an effective way to protect and improve marine biodiversity and the health of marine ecosystems,
- currently less than 7% of NSW waters are declared Sanctuary Zones,
- the NSW Government has proposed to remove sanctuary protections from 10 beaches and headlands across NSW threatening the integrity of our Marine Park system; and
- The areas under threat include the Cape Byron Marine Park, The Solitary Islands Marine Park, the Port Stephens – Great Lakes Marine Park, and Batemans Marine Park.
The undersigned petitioners ask the Legislative Assembly to call on the NSW Government to:
- Restore full sanctuary protections to the 10 beaches and headlands.